Wednesday, May 14, 2008

A bit of nuttery

We interject for a few brief moments with something completely un-serious and unimportant (compared with recent posts on the recent developments of the recent addition to the family!), but hopefully it will funny to at least somebody else. (Ahem. Please do not leave condescending comments if you find it otherwise.) Actually, I read this poem to the girls last night and they both laughed. Maybe they were just humoring me... maybe it had to do with the late hour...
A few brief notes to make the next few brief moments a bit clearer.
~ after the row of * * * he changes character and
~ an "archipelago" is, and I quote, an expanse of water with many groups of islands.
In this case it is an expanse of trees and that, my friends, is one of the beauties of poetry: language is bendable to your every imagination. Anyway, the poem.

~ ~ ~

Race-Memory
(By a Dazed Darwinian)

I remember, I remember,
Long before I was born,
The tree-tops where my racial self
Went dancing round at morn.

Green wavering archipelagos,
Great gusty bursts of blue,
In my race-memory I recall
(Or I am told I do).

In that green-turreted Monkeyville
(So I have often heard)
It seemed as if a Blue Baboon
Might soar like a Blue Bird.

Low crawling Fundamentalists
Glared up through the green mist,
I hung upon my tail in heaven
A Firmamentalist.

* * * * * * * * * *

I am too fat to climb a tree,
There are no trees to climb;
Instead, the factory chimneys rise,
Unscaleable, sublime.

The past was bestial ignorance:
But I feel a little funky,
To think I'm further off from heaven
Than when I was a monkey.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the poem! If the hilarity only resulted from sleep-deprived brains, then I have no excuse for enjoying the post...So, I'd prefer we decided that the poem was worthy of the hysterics granted it. If we decide otherwise, I'll have to confirm my reservations for that 'pink padded room' that I've so often threatened to take up residence in. :)

Enjoy your little sister!

Much love,

Jenny

Unknown said...

That's hilarious. :o) Thanks for sharing that.

Love,
Jess

jrbuff said...

help an ole lady and make the ink color darker so i can read things over the lovely backgroun. thanks ben...you are the best.

love joan

jrbuff said...

backgrounD

sorry about the spelling goof

Ben said...

Well, I can't make it any darker, but I made it larger. Does that help?