Friday, March 14, 2008

Thinking in Circles?

Time for a more serious post... sort of. :) Some people like to try and think along these lines and then there are others who don't get the point, but I hope you'll find this at least a little humorous.
These paragraphs come from a book entitled "The Holiness of God" by R.C. Sproul.

~ ~ ~ ~

What was there before the beginning of Genesis 1? Adam had no father nor grandfather. He had no history books to read because there was no history. Before the creation there were no kings or queens or rocks or trees. There was nothing; nothing, of course, except God.

Here is where I got an Excedrin headache in my philosophy class. Before the world began there was nothing. But what in the world is "nothing"? Have you ever tried to think about nothing? Where can we find it? Obviously nowhere. Why? Because it is nothing and nothing doesn't exist. It can't exist, because if it did then it would be something and not nothing. Are you starting to get a headache like mine? Think about it for a second. Nuts! I can't tell you to think about "it" because nothing isn't an "it." I can only say nothing isn't.

So how can we think about nothing? We can't. It is simply impossible. If we try to think of nothing we always wind up thinking of something. As soon as I try to think about nothing I start imagining a lot of "empty" air. But air is something. It has weight and substance to it. I know that because of what happens if a nail goes through the tire of my car.

Jonathan Edwards once said that nothing is what sleeping rocks dream about. That doesn't help much. My son offered me a better definition of "nothing." When he was in junior high, I asked him when he came home from school, "What did you do today, son?" The reply was the same every day, "Nuthin." So the best explanation I can give of "nothing" is "that which my son used to do ever day in junior high."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting this...

Love you girls --
Jess